Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wage Gap for a Woman in Tech

Being a woman in the technology workplace can be hard. That is never more true than when it comes to salary negotiations.

I am a smart, talented woman. I deserve to make a wage that recognizes and rewards that talent. Sadly, during the hiring process, I'm not always offered that as a default. I have to negotiate for it. I have to demand it. Enough women don't.

 The psychology behind that is hard for us to overcome - but we must. To close the wage gap, not only do employers need to do their part, but we need to step up and negotiate like our male counterparts. Do your research and make your case.

The reality is that in business, you will never get what you don't ask for in wages. If you ask for more, it may not close the gap between you and your male counterparts entirely, but it will make that difference smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment